Costs of ECA arbitration proceedings
The registration and advanced fee
The initiation of proceedings before the ECA includes the payment of a registration and advanced fee of € 5,000.
Such fee covers:
- a registration fee of € 1,500
- an advanced payment of the administrative costs and cash outlays of the ECA Office (+VAT)
- an advanced payment of the fees and cash outlays of the arbitrators (+ VAT)
If the sum if not entirely spent during the arbitration proceedings, the remainder will be refounded to the claimant.
The arbitration costs
The ECA arbitrators nominated to decide on a specific dispute shall define in their final award which party shall bear the costs of the arbitration proceedings.
Such costs include:
- the registration fee of € 1,500
- the administrative costs and cash outlays of the ECA Office for the relevant ECA arbitration proceedings
- the fees and cash outlays of the arbitrators for the relevant ECA arbitration proceedings.
Even though as a general rule, the unsuccessful party shall pay the costs of the arbitration proceedings, the ECA arbitrators may decide a different breakdown of the costs taking in consideration the circumstances of the case and the content of the final award.
Depending on the decision of the ECA arbitrators, the registration and advanced fee may therefore be reimbursed to the claimant.
Arbitrators' fees and expenses
The fee of the arbitrator in compensation to their participation in ECA proceedings is defined as follows:
- a flat fee of € 400 for the Chairman
- a flat fee of € 200 for the Co - arbitrators
In cases of particular legal and/or factual complexity, the ECA Office may decide to increase such fees taking in consideration the time the arbitrators devoted to theirs tasks.
Besides, the arbitrators shall be reimbursed of all costs related to the ECA arbitration proceedings upon presentation of receipts and on the following basis:
- air travel: price of an econnomy class return ticket
- travel by train: price of a first class return ticket
- travel by car: price of a first class return rail ticket
- hotel accomodation and board
Bank: Volksbank Wien, Austria
IBAN: AT 27 4300 0401 7764 7043